- Harvest: Spring 2022
- Oxidation: 80%
- Production: Hand Oxidized, Finished Baking by Charcoal Heated Pans
- Farming: Traditional Farming
Dahongpao大紅袍 (“Big Red Robe”) is synonymous with the original mother bushes—just five—growing on an impossible cliff, much too precious for anyone other than Chinese royalty. This tea boasts superior depths of dark, high-roasted flavor and robust body and intensity characteristic of Wuyi teas.
Deep in the Wuyi Mountain Range, it is cultivated from a 70 year old wild tea tree varietal on Tian Xin Yan (Sky Heart Cliff) 天心岩. Such old trees are deeply rooted into the rocky, ancient volcanic soil and absorb the unique qualities of the Wuyi terroir. Big Red Robe delivers the complexity and mineral finish characteristic of fine Wuyi oolongs. The deep roast style produces this full bodied oolong, a warming treat.
Tasting Notes: A fiery roasted cedar body with a cinnamon and raw cacao finish.
- 6g or 2Tbsp | 8oz. @ 205˚F | 45 seconds
- May be re-steeped multiple times.
- Use a porcelain or yixing teapot.
- Drain completely and serve.