- Harvest: Summer 2021
- Elevation: 800 meters
- Oxidation: 50%
- Production: Tumbled and Rolled by Machine. Baked by Electric Heat in Bamboo Baskets.
- Farming: Traditional Farming
Hotter weather conditions and smaller-leaf varietals at lower elevations lured the green leaf hoppers—tiny cicadas whose beneficial bites nip the astringency and release the unique aroma of these teas—to patronize their bushes. The few hoppers that did venture farther up the mountains feasted at Tung Ting, giving this Royal Courtesan its full-bodied, alluring fragrance as well as a matching name, inspired by the perfume wore by the ladies of the Emperor’s court. The confluence of conditions required to create this specialized release of perfume from these leaves are rare and circumstantial. In these challenging weather times, Royal Courtesan is harder and harder to come by.
- 6g or 1Tbsp | 8oz. @ 205˚F | 1 minute
- May be re-steeped multiple times.
- Use a porcelain or yixing teapot.
- Drain completely and serve.